Friday, March 06, 2009

Frozen Wool

Mom had a great suggestion for my little bug problem. Freeze my yarn. What a great idea!

Here is the problem: family of five and only two little freezers. I have the small freezer above the fridge upstairs and the small freezer in the beer fridge in the garage. I can't buy a stick of butter and without using up what I have first for lack of freezer space. (I know I could really use a deep freeze, but the brand new washer and dryer was really a better choice at this point)

So I am racking my brain about how to freeze my stash a little at a time, you know I could quarantine the yarn that had not been frozen yet, while organizing the stuff that had, I could wind everything into balls as I go, I had lots of ideas. Then it hit this morning while I was telling the kids to dress warmly as it was -11C when they were heading off to school. (It warmed up a bit by the time I got organized enough to have my camera out)



The latest cold snap I have been complaining about (we are ready for spring around here but mother nature is not hearing us) is my salvation. Put the yarn outside! Duh. I don't know if I owe mother nature a thank you for the cold snap or if we call it even; after all she is the one that hatched the whole idea of wool eating beasts.

I took this picture before I got my entire stash out onto the back deck. It is a bit embarrassing how much yarn I have collected. I am wondering if I could give mom a run for her money yet?



This is a great chance to organize things. I have hatched a master plan that I will share with you on my next post. (I have not forgotten to tell you the story of the Cowl, I just got distracted by wool)

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Mom's got you beat in the yarn department.

dwgnldy said...

Putting the yarn outside was a great idea. Be glad you figured it out now and not in the summer when it's too late.

You've really got some beautiful colors there. I can't wait to see what they end up being.

dwgnldy said...

Putting the yarn outside was a great idea. Be glad you figured it out now and not in the summer when it's too late.

You've really got some beautiful colors there. I can't wait to see what they end up turning in to.

Wudas said...

I have a little more fiber for spinning than you do also. But you are on your way to a respectable stash.

angie, party of one said...

I was going to suggest putting the yarn outside. I guess great minds think alike.