Friday, June 22, 2007

Mr. Postman

Let me warn you before I get started. This post has been several days in the making, it is long and heavy with photos. Do you remember my list of things I wanted to post about once I got some computer time? This post covers several of those things, you have been warned.

I have come to love checking the mail. Most of the household bills are in Paul's name, the only bills I receive are my student loan, car insurance and my visa statement which I try to pay off monthly so it's often painless. We have lots of other bills mind you, but most of them are in Paul's name and I don't open them. Ignorance is bliss.

I ordered some fibre online a while ago and never showed it to you...until now. This is from Luxe she has a site on Etsy, if you are crafty or love handmade things check out the site it has some great stuff. I ordered some funky fibre stuff to play with. The next three photos are the same batt; as you can see it has lots of colours and texture to it. I can't wait to play with it, but I have not gotten to it yet.



There is an article in the newest Spinoff on how to control your colour when you spin, I am going to give that another read and decide what I want to do with this. I am not sure if I should just spin it as it comes or if I should try to plan a little. There is some brown and rust in their and I think it might muddy up to much if I don't put a little thought into it.



I like the way it looks as is; little curly locks that are as soft as could be.



This is what I went to the site looking for, super wash merino. This colour reminds me of summer berries. I think I have to spin this as it comes, it is randomly dyed and I don't think I can control much how the colour falls when I spin it up.



It is as soft as it looks.



I also bought this funky one: I don't love it as much as the first funky one, but it is fun to spin and I am learning a lot spinning it up. I have been pulling the black out of it as I spin it, it just makes it look muddy to me. I will use the black for something else down the line.



Here it is spun up, It is lumpy and bumpy and lots of fun to work with, it is a bit dirty and you can feel a bit of lanolin in the fibre as you work with it. I am really curious to see how it will it will look once it is plied.



You would think I had enough treats in the mail to keep me happy and checking the mail box on on a daily basis. There is more to come, lots more you might want to go grab a beer or a glass of wine.
You all have been keeping up with The Giggle Queen and her wonder trip across Canada. During her travels in British Columbia she came across this humming bird. It made her think of me so she purchased it and express posted it my way. I don't know if I can explain why I was so moved by this but I will give it a try.
The Giggle Queen is riding her bike across an entire country, carrying everything she owns on her bike. She is riding over mountain ranges, in the rain, in the heat, dealing with whatever mother nature throws at her. I know that a small bottle of conditioner for her hair was the only luxury item she packed, yet she sees this and it makes her think of me and it appears in my mail box. No note, it spoke for itself.


There is more. Only days before she left, we were camping together at the golf camp out and her and I were talking about humming birds (you may remember the humming bird pictures that I posted). In many cultures the hummingbird is a powerful symbol about living in the present and about drinking from the nectar of life. In the Medicine Wheel the humming bird represents our Grandmothers and Grandfathers, ancient memories and ancient wisdom. The humming bird is not built for flight but it achieves one of the longest migrations of any bird, drinking constantly of life nectar and making the impossible journey.
Powerful stuff isn't it.

About a week ago I received another package from The Giggle Queen. Very cool rocks. Anyone know how these are formed? Me neither.


I should buy my post person a beer for all the work! There is more. This is the yarn I spun and sent off to mom for a dye job. It left here looking like a sheep's grey pubic hair and came back 40 years younger. Now we know all moms secrets! It is so lovey now I can hardly believe I spun that little bit of heave up myself! It is going to be a felted bowl eventually.



This arrived from Mom on Wednesday: It is my birthday gift.


It is divine. It smells and feels like heaven. There are four decadent skeins of it, hand made in Alaska and going by the name "Russian Reds" 53% Mohair and 45% Merino and 2% Nylon. 600 yards in total. I am just going to sleep with it until it tells me what it wants to be. Thank you Mom and Darryl, you went over the top with this one and I love it.


Today I received my socks that rock for the month of June. They are my favorite this year, they may be my favorite ever. I feel like the yarn was dyed just for me, I love the colour way that much. I won't spoil things by showing you anything but the envelope.


Paying it forward. A little gift for The Giggle Queen. I was not looking so of course I ran across something perfect for her. Watch her blog, she should get it in about three days, let's see if she figures out how to post a picture. (She cannot pass up a challenge like that one)

3 comments:

Wudas said...

Got my STR kit too. I love the colorway. It'll make nice socks for a Mexican cruise in the spring.

I'm glad you like your birthday present. I was thinking shawl when I bought it. It's a heavier yarn so big needles, less yarn, instant gratification.

I'm sorry the KICKS kits are late but I've been swamped. I'll get them done after we get back from the Mammoth Mean Mountain Run around July 8th.

Shannon said...

I got my STR too!

I can't wait to see what you make out all of your goodies.

Leanna said...

I'm intrigued, but I did learn how to post pictures from my own computer. Now I just have to learn how to do it when I'm on the road.