Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rainbows

I was driving the kids home from school today and I saw a rainbow cloud. I have never seen this before so I took a picture of it.



Here is a closer photo if it helps at all. At first I was not sure if I really seeing a rainbow in the cloud so I asked the kids and they could see it to. It was about 70F today with a light breeze and and a few wispy clouds. I don't know what made this rainbow show itself this way but I liked it.



The rainbow got me thinking:






Remember the white roving that was so lovely to spin but bored me out of me mind? I Kool Aid dyed it today. I had no idea how to do this so I put my Easter egg knowledge to work. I pulled off a length of roving and put it is a clear dish. I put in just enough hot water to cover the roving and then I added a splash of vinegar and a dash of salt. I microwaved it for 2 minutes, let it sit for a couple and then heated it again for 2 minuets. I let the roving cool and then rinsed with warm water. I was very gentle, I did not want any felting.



This one I got creative on, I sprinkled orange one side and cherry on the other. I did not mix it, I was going for a mottled sort of look.



My rainbow:

6 comments:

Wudas said...

Addictive isn't it?

The rainbow is caused by ice in the cloud. It breaks the light spectrum just like rainbows in the rain/sun.

Wudas said...

P.S. You don't need any salt.

Shannon said...

I had no idea that rainbows could be in a cloud. That was a very cool photo.

I love your bright colored roving. Any plans for that?

angie, party of one said...

The rainbow cloud is super cool! I've never seen one before.

Leanna said...

I've seen that kind of thing but it is usually in the winter. Pretty cool though.

JustApril said...

We call what you saw a "Sun Dog" not sure where that term comes from, but I always enjoy seeing them. =) I love the dye job you did on your roving.