Thursday, April 10, 2008

Picture Fun

I was playing with the settings on my camera a week or two ago and I thought I would share the results with you. It is the same picture over and over again with different camera settings. I hope I don't bore you with it.

The only setting I was changing on all of these pictures was white balance. This first picture is the control if you will. It was taken with the plant in full sun and the camera's white balance setting on "Sun"



This second picture I changed the white balance setting to 'shade'. This warmed the picture up a little bit, it adds a bit of pink/red to the picture. A good setting for people pictures, gives them a healthy glow.



The third photo I set on 'cloud' This warms the picture up even more, adding some orange to it. When I was taking fall leaf photos I had the camera on this setting all the time. It make the colours of the leaves richer. It gave the colour a bit more depth to me.



Incandescent (the image of a light bulb) in your white balance setting. It adds blue to the photos. The light from light bulbs is a bit yellow and I guess this is to balance that out.



Fluorescent the camera adds magenta to the picture. It is easier to see the difference in the this picture and the one above if you look at the background of the picture (upper left-hand corner)



Last but not least, the flash setting in the white balance.



Amazing how much you can change a picture with those settings. I learned about some of this in the camera class I took a few months ago. I don't know how much I retained, but it has made my pictures a bit better and helped me learn about my camera.

3 comments:

JustApril said...

Cool - nice to have those options, I bet. (my stupid camera hates me - lol)

Anonymous said...

Very cool.

Shannon said...

I agree with Mom.