Monday, October 03, 2005

Say Cheese!

Today was picture day. I should know better by now, I should know how to handle picture day. This is Sebastian's third picture day and PJ's second. I should have learned something along the way.

Sebastian is not a problem for picture day. I asked him if he knew what to wear, he said, "Yes mom." I said, "What have you picked out?" He said, "Jeans and a t-shirt and a shirt that buttons." I said, "Perfect Sebastian, will you go get yourself dressed?" And he did, all was right with the world.

Then PJ finished breakfast. I have been preparing PJ for picture day for a week now. I thought we had it under control. I was wrong.

We have been practicing. I have been putting PJ up on a stool and having her smile for the stranger behind the camera. We have talked about what she would like to wear for her pictures. I thought we had it all together.

Last year she was so shy for her pictures she would not even look at the photographer. She made sour faces and hid her face in her shoulder. She had to have re-takes because the first ones were pictures of the side of her head, her face buried in her hair and shoulder. I had to go with her and hold her hand for re-takes.

This year she even had her wardrobe all picked out. PJ likes to wear what she wants when she wants. I normally respect this. She is a princess with a splash of diva thrown in for good measure. She insists on wearing a dress everyday, and "pretty shoes to match" Never mind that it is -10C and the matching shoes are pink flip-flops, she can be convinced to wear a pair of green socks with them, but not to wear "sensible shoes" She rarely matches, but she is always happy and that is what counts.

Today she first picked out a dress that had stains on the front of it. It is one of her favorites, that's why it is stained. When I told her we should wash it first she willingly picked another dress. Her second choice was a lovely (read ratty) spaghetti strap little number, washed a hundred times with the flowers printed on the cotton so worn you can't even tell what they are. A dress I have tried to get rid of, but I just can't because PJ "loves it and wants to keep it forever and ever." Great for wearing around the house, for going bike riding in, but not for school pictures.

This veto, of the second dress, does PJ in. She is crying her eyes out, screaming and just generally being difficult. To the point that I send Paul to school with Sebastian for picture day and figure I will I drop PJ off in a bit when she has cooled off.

Finally bribed by a ride in the mini and told that she would be wearing a "beautiful princess dress just like Laynes." I sent PJ to school in her Sleeping Beauty dress up dress with her crown and magic wand, in the mini (thank you Debbles) This by the way was the original plan, the dress I had been preparing her to wear all week. The dress we had agreed on for quite sometime.

I know where I went wrong. Next year I will wait until the night before photos, and after PJ has fallen asleep I will go into her closet and remove all the play dresses and leave her with only the good dresses hanging in the closet. Then she wont have any paint covered, chocolate dipped dresses to choose from.

For the record she did sit on the stool and smile at the photographer. So I did get something right. I do respect that the girl knows her mind and what she wants, she is miles ahead of many I know and she is only 3. I don't know how she go t so stubborn.

Stuff I did not want to forget:

APL- PJ has decided she would like to starting growing her hair out around Christmas time, and tells me it will take "a very very very very very very very very long time" The girl is wise beyond her years.

Word Up- I really don't want to apply work verification on my blog. I think it is a pain in the bootie, it may be that it is a necessary evil. I am still debating.

I think I am going to have to eat $800.00 on those stupid tickets. As long as I am spending the $$ I can choose anytime I want to go. I was wondering if you all thought I should come in May or if I should wait until the kids are out of school for the summer. I could not decide and I am open to any help from your end.

No comments: