Friday, July 01, 2005

Canada Day Eh?

Today is Canada Day. Canada day is always a funny day for me. I am still an American girl (mostly) and the 4th of July rings true in my heart.

There are a few holidays that Canadians just don't do as well as Americans. There are also a few holidays that Canadians do better than Americans-Veteran's Day-Canadians do a better job at respecting their veterans than Americans do, this may have changed with the War the US in currently involved in but I don't know. In Canadian you also have Boxing day, the US is missing the boat on this one, it's a doosey.

The fourth of July is about hot weather, back yard BBQ and fireworks at the park. Canada Day is about all of these things but on a smaller scale. It reminds of Thanksgiving here in Canada, "Oh, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, we had better buy a turkey and call grandma" A good meal but not quite the bang Americans give the holiday, the whole family over a huge table laden with food, so much laughter and talk you have to yell to be heard.

Canada Day is the same way, "Oh, tomorrow is Canada Day, Lets have a BBQ" Don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing Canada, sometimes I think I am more Canadian than American. And often time it is impromptu get togethers that are the most fun and the most memorable, no expectations.

We have made it a tradition in this house to celebrate both the Canadian and American Thanksgiving. I think we need to extend this to Canada Day and the 4th of July as well. I keep asking Paul for the day off, but he doesn't seem to be going for it.

I will wave my flag and celebrate both because I am a good Camerican girl. So here is a toast to both Canada, a country that I have grown to love and to the United States of America where my roots are firmly grounded.

No comments: