Sunday, February 13, 2005

The 'B' List

Mom, I think you are right, I believe that men screw up the laundry deliberately a time or two until their wives tell them not to do the wash any more. It is a conspiracy I am sure of it.

The Runner's Sole storey:

First let me give a you a little background. Runner's Sole is the local running store in Kamloops, they opened a little over three years ago and Debbles and I have been involved with them pretty much since the get go. I have been an avid runner for years (15+), I ran in the very first run clinic they put on at Runner's Sole and following that 8 week clinic they asked me if I would be a leader in the clinic. The clinic runs 8 weeks on and one week off. We break up the groups into skill level and run and every Wednesday night at 6:30, I lead the beginning run level. In two weeks I will be celebrating 3 years as the beginning run leader.

I do this for nothing. I do this because I like the owner of the store and I enjoy helping him out. I do this because I love running I and love passing this passion on to others. I do this because it is the coolest thing to teach people that they can run 10K when they don't think they can run 5K. I love empowering the people who run in my group, I love kicking them out of my group because they have gotten to fast to run at the beginning run level anymore. I do this because thought I was a friend of the store owner. I do this because it is fun.

Occasionally as a run leader I score some free gear. I have gotten 4 or 5 pairs of free shoes over the past three years and some really nice technical running shirts. This is a great bonus, but I never expect anything. On the 8th week the entire group usually goes out to dinner, W has always been generous enough to buy the run leaders their meals on these nights. I have never showed up without my wallet, I have never assumed that W would pay for my meal. One more perk, when I run any local race, my race fees are waived. This works well for everyone, I get the free race and all the people that I encouraged to sign up for the race in my group get to see me out there encouraging them and leading by example. I always tell W not to give me a race packet or a race t-shirt, I don't want it to cost him money for me to race. W says that I get cost on anything in the store, but if you look at what I have bought there, this had never happened.

Friday night when I stopped by the store to pick up Mnt. Goat for a movie, W pulled me aside and told me that there are new shoes coming in for the run leaders, (Nike is sponsoring I think, This means the shoes are costing W nothing). W told me that Debbles and I will not be getting shoes this clinic, due to the fact that we got 2 pairs of shoes last year. All the other run leaders, (who have been doing this for 6 months) will be getting their shoes (I don't think they received any shoes last year) and Debbles and I will be high and dry. I told W I thought this was weird. I asked him straight up, why he would want to leave Debbles and I out of the loop. I never really got an answer that I understand, except it is his business and he will do with the shoes what he wants. I still don't understand why he wouldn't want to share the free shoes, given to him by Nike for his run leaders, with ALL his leaders.

I also think if he asks a company to sponsor his running group and they chose to do so, and he does something else with the gear, that this is slightly dishonest. A company sponsors the clinic because they know what a powerful marketing tool it is to have everyone running in their gear.

W proceeded to tell me that he did not invite me and my family to an event at his home over the holidays because I was not on the 'A' list. This is a direct quote my friends. So why on earth have I spending every Wednesday night for 3 years, helping out this guy so I can be on his 'B' list, or is it the 'C' or 'D' list I am on? I know why...

I have always done this for all the reasons I mentioned above. But to be told right out of the horses mouth that I am not a friend, and to be told that my value is maxed out at the price of 2 pairs of shoes and a shirt, well that just sucks. My feelings are hurt.

Paul thinks Debbles and I should start our own free clinics on Wednesday nights and shut W down. Maybe then he would value us. I am afraid I could not do this. I just couldn't treat a friend this way...but then again I am only the 'B' list aren't I? I don't think I could disrespect W like this, even though he doesn't seem to value my leadership or my friendship. Just tattoo 'fool' on my forehead.

What bothers me the most is W used to do this because he liked doing it, now he appears to be all about the money he can make. From the outside looking in, it seems like W is more concerned about the bottom line than the finish line these days. This disappoints me, I genuinely like W and I am sad that he seems to have lost the big picture. I am an optimist and belief if you do things because you love them, that the rest comes. I am not rolling in the money with this attitude, but I have a successful business, a wonderful family, great friends and I am well respected in my community. This is where the value of life falls in my book.

I would like to continue to lead the beginning run group, simply because I enjoy it. My anger and hurt over being treated this way not withstanding, I never started this to get anything but fun and good a workout out of it. It still sucks to know you are a 'B' lister and not appreciated.

2 comments:

Wudas said...

What would happen if you quit being a run leader for him and simply told your group that there was a change in store policy that you disagreed with. If they choose to continue to run with you they can. And of course there's always wourd of mouth to spread your reputations.

Shannon said...

I agree with Wudas.