Friday, June 24, 2005

Summer Storms

This time of year we get quite a few of these summer storms. The day will start perfectly clear and then by about 3:00 in the afternoon the sky clouds over and you can feel the energy in the air.

Then the wind starts, a fast wind that stops as quickly as it starts. After the wind there is this eerie stillness to the air that is so charged with energy the hair on your arms stands on end. Then you hear the first roll of thunder. Often I can watch the lightening show either out the front window or the sliding door out to the back yard. Sometimes it is so warm you can sit out back on the wooden swing and watch the light show.

The whole things ends with a heavy rain, often hail. 30 minutes later it has blown over and the rainbows come out to play.

It is a delight to the senses. The light show, the shiver down your spine as the thunder rolls, the smell of rain on the hot asphalt followed by the crystal clear sky's and the brightest rainbows I have ever seen. As I type this I am watching the lightening strike down the Valley. I will try for a picture for you, there is another one before I can even get the sentence typed. I think it is time to sit and knit and watch mother natures matinee.

No comments: