Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Sebastian's Birthday Cake

Yesterday was a wonderful day! My oldest son turned 4 years old, and a great time was had by all. I have to say that today, everytime I look at him I am thinking "my little boy is growing up so fast, 4 already!" I am just amazed at how fast the time goes by.

During quiet time yesterday I let Sebastian open his birthday present. I wanted him to have it to himself for a little bit before the other two got up from their naps and he had to share it. We got him a wooden train set. It is compatible with Brio, but more in my price range, I found it on sale a few months ago at Grand River Toys. They have a great web site if you want to check it out. Anyway, Sebastian and I played with it together for about an hour before the other two woke up. We had great time.

After quiet time the kids and I decided to bake Sebastian's birthday cake. I have this amazing chocolate cake recipe that my BIL gave me. He baked it up for my wedding cake and everyone loved it. The kids and I get all mixed up and into the oven 35-4o minutes later we take it out of the oven to cool. Sebastian, Quenitn and I go in the other room to play with the train. PJ stays in the kitchen to 'wash her hands'. She comes out of the kitchen with this little impish grin on her cute little face. I thought I had better go see what she was up to...she sabotaged Sebastians cake!!! She took the salt shaker and shook it all over both layers! Our chocolate cake, from scratch, was now covered with salty snow!. No problem, super mom can fix this.

I cut off the top of the cake, I need it nice and level to frost it anyway, Whip cream topping, the perfect compliment to this divine, super chocolate cake. I cut the top off, and lift it very carefully up to toss in the trash (what a waste) and discover...Lava cake. Under the top I have chocolate soup! I did not bake the cake long enough to begin with.

No problem, super mom can put this baby back in the oven and bake it some more. It's 6:00 in the evening by this time and we are sitting down to dinner. I take the cakes out of the oven 15 minutes later looking slightly crispy, but definitely done. I let them cool while we finish up our dinner and I whip up the whip cream frosting. In my mind there is something niggling at me...'this is just not quite right' I am thinking. The whipping cream frosting looks wonderful, nice peaks, a bit of sugar, at dash of vanilla...this will look great on my thighs (which is where it is going to land after I eat it)

I pile it on the first layer of cake, very gently and with great presicion I place the next layer on. I pain stakingly frost the rest of the cake...And viola!! Chocolate and whipping cream soup. Of course the heat from my crisp cake, melted my whip cream frosting and well...The picture posted is worth a thousand words.

We ate it all up, it tasted wonderful, but was not pretty. We had a good a laugh and spent a fun filled family evening together. Incredible that we had such a great day with so many mishaps,and we all kept laughing and smiling about it, I guess that is what being a family is all about.

No comments: