Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Road Less Traveled

I am frustrated with a good friend of mine. Not for anything she has done or not done, but simply because she does not value and respect herself as much as she should.

She looks in the mirror and sees an image that is nothing like what you and I see when we look at her. I see a beautiful woman, with warm brown eyes that has a smile for everyone she meets. She has told me what she sees when she looks the mirror and it nothing true about who she is or what she looks like.

I have been blessed with self confidence. I am not the prettiest girl in the world, I do not have a models figure, but I do love myself. I have many areas of my life that I would like to improve on, I would love a tummy tuck and boob lift, I have a thousand things I can't wait to learn, but when I look in the mirror I see someone I am happy with a person and body I respect. I would love to be a better mom, a better cook, a better wife, a better runner, but ultimately I am happy.

It frustrates me that this amazing woman I know sees only the negative in herself. I think if we could listen to what she tells herself everyday we would be surprised with how hard she is on herself. I am frustrated because I don't know how to show her what I see when I look at her. What I see when I spend time with her. How do I help her gain self confidence? How do I point her to path that only she can travel?

3 comments:

Wudas said...

It doesn't do any good to just tell her to look at herself differently. The best you can do is give her reinforcement when you see that she has any pride in anything in her life. Unless you know why she has such low self esteem and she's willing to talk about it. Even then some scars just seem to hang around no matter how hard to try to see it from a more reasonable place.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly.
Guess what, I'm at ben's and I read your blog. Thank you for your greatness and adopting me for this past year
love bonnie

Kelly O said...

Mom- I know she needs to find her own path, but I wish so much I could help. It is going to be hard parenting when my kids reach this stage.

Bonnie! Welcome. It is nice to see you posting here. We need you to come over and play so we can get you blogging before France. You are an easy one to adopt, let your mom know I have adopted her as well, that way we can stay one big happy family.