Monday, March 07, 2005

The Great Canadian Experience

Well, I survived curling. I was right, it is a lot like shuffle board on ice. I had fun. It is usually fun to try new things. I am not going Olympic anytime soon. If fact my team got the award for worst team on the ice that day. I think that may have been my fault. I was laughing to hard to sweep very well.

I really don't understand the whole game. I mean for starters, Canada is cold in the winter time. So Canadians, in their brilliance, think up a game, you can play inside in the winter time and then put the whole thing on top of a sheet of ice. It was cold, my hands were cold, my feet were cold, curling is not for wimps.

So you grab a broom and some cool little booties that go right over your shoes. One is slippery so you can zip along on the ice and the other one is grippy, so you don't slip on the ice. You squat down on one knee, put one foot against what looks like a starting block, you hold the rock in front of you and you push off with your foot. You want to throw the rock very gently, that rock goes a long way with very little push. You want your rock to be closet to the middle. You can knock out your opponents rocks, you can place your rocks in such a way that you block your opponents shots. Oh yes, lets not forget to sweep, you sweep in front of the rock to make it go faster, if you need it to. I don't really get the sweeping, I can't imagine that sweeping in front of the rock actually changes that much, but I swept when I was told too. It was fun overall. I would try it again, I will dress warmer next time.

I think curling should be a summer sport, you could go in, curl for a while and cool off and then come outside and warm up again. It is something you would have to practice a lot to get good at. I had a few good throws and a lot of not so good throws. Everyone should try it, just once.

2 comments:

Wudas said...

It sounds like fun. I'd try it. A good way to "get your rocks off."

Shannon said...

I love the curling photos.