Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Skinny

I went for a run this morning with Mnt Goat. We hit the trails behind the house for about 9K, the snow is almost gone and we had a great time. I am tired of road running and I have not seen enough of the Mnt. Goat lately. She has been very busy with school, she is working very hard these days to make a success of herself, I have a lot of respect for her and her hard work and dedication. But, I selfishly miss running with her and spending time with her.

During our running adventure, Mnt Goat told me she and her sister were talking about how skinny I am. I know Mnt. Goat meant this as a compliment and I took it that way. I have three young children and I have worked very hard to lose any pregnancy weight I may have gained and Mnt. Goat and her sister are recognizing that and complimenting me. But, (we all knew there was going to be a but didn't we?) I am not a fan of the word 'skinny'. I don't want to be 'skinny'. Skinny should be reserved for phrases like 'skinny dipping' or maybe "Give me the skinny on what we are doing tonight" or "what's the skinny?" But as a descriptive term for me, not my favorite. Crack addicts are 'skinny', people with nutritional disorders are skinny, and I know a fair number of people that are 'skinny fat'. You know what I mean, don't pretend like you don't know what skinny fat is.

I don't mind 'thin', I love 'fit', stay away from 'shapely' and my favorite, hum what is my favorite, 'toned' and 'happy' are two of my favorites. 'Healthy' is a good one too, if used right, you don't want to be too 'healthy'.

How do I stay fit?
I am so glad you asked that!

A year ago a friend of Paul's moved from a very big house to a very small house. He had a nautilus weight set from costco he did not have room for anymore. We were kind enough to store it for him. I started using the weights and I have been at it consistently for about a year now. This combined with my running, (which has been a 15 year addiction of mine) has helped me get back to my pre-babies weight and keeps me fit.

Our friend bought a new house, it is a big one, and so he came and got his weights on Saturday. I said a weepy good-bye. My DH went right down to costco and bought me a new nautilus weight set, nicer than one I had. He told me he knew I would use it, he knew I enjoyed using it, and then, get this: he told me I look great and it was a small price to pay to keep his wife looking hot! Love IS blind isn't it? He spent the weekend putting it together for me and I never even missed a work out. He is a good man, and I am a lucky woman.

I am also very sore, the Smith Machine isolates the muscles better than the bar did by itself and my legs are killing me from squats and lunges. I did a shoulder workout that Debbles taught me and I could hardly lift my arms up to wash my hair in the shower today. I love the Smith Machine!!!

1 comment:

Wudas said...

You always look great to me. No matter what!