Friday, March 18, 2005

Spoiled, Lucky and Stupid

Spoiled
We here in Kamloops have been spoiled the past few weeks. We have indeed been lulled into a false sense of spring. The temperatures soared up to 15C, all the snow had magically left the back yard, even the big shady spot that is always the last to go was nothing but a brown patch of lawn.

Today was a nasty reminder of how spoiled we had become. How much we had taken this wonderful weather for granted. I ran my morning run today in snow. It was cold wet snow. I had put away my winter running gloves and my favorite running touque had settled down for a long summer nap. It was a sad day today. I had a wonderful run anyway, I love running in the snow, and it is up to about 8C now and the skiff has already melted away. No harm no foul.

Lucky
This weekend has brought a surprise for me. A little stroke of luck if you will, a small moment of peace in my otherwise busy life. Paul has been planning to go to Kelowna to visit some family there and to do some orthos for them. We were supposed to go last weekend, but the orthos had not all come in yet. Well they are here now! This means he is off to Kelowna this weekend with his mom and the kids.

Sadly, we do not have a vehicle that we will all fit in. Both our vehicles only seat 5 people. I am going to have to stay home. I am looking forward to some time to myself, this is a precious thing in my world. I shouldn't say that really, I take time to go running and workout almost everyday. But this is different, a whole evening with a quiet house. This will be my first evening with no children since Quentin was born. The funny thing is, I will miss them. I will glance at the clock and think, "they are having dinner now." and that sort of thing.

I do have to work on Saturday still, so I am don't exactly get to sit around and do nothing.

Stupid
I may have done something stupid. Would that surprise anyone?

I run my long run as usual on Saturday morning. 11 miles this Saturday.

I signed up for The Spring Run-Off 10K race Sunday morning. I have not raced a 10K since the end of last race season and I want to see what my 10K time is. I am never sore from the long runs, but I am always a little stiff in the legs. Have I made a grave mistake? I am not sure yet.

I decided I will see how I feel on Sunday. If I feel good, I will go run the race. If I am to sore I will stay home and relax (in quiet empty house). Stephanie told me I should use the 10K as a time to trial to see how I will do in my next half marathon.

My first half marathon of the season will most likely be the following weekend. Sunday the 27th of March. The River Run here in Kamloops. I would love to get personal best at this race. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I am going to try to do 3 this year.

Aside: Kamloops is not recognized by my spell check program, it wants to replace the word 'Kamloops' with 'smallpox' WTF?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can. It is strange being alone when you're not used to it but you learn to enjoy while you can.

When I go to Oklahoma City I miss my family like crazy but I do enjoy the time to myself and the peace and quiet.

Kelly O said...

I am torn, one part of me can't wait for the peace and quiet, but the other part of me....WOOOHOOO peace and quiet!

Kelly O said...

I am torn, one part of me can't wait for the peace and quiet, but the other part of me....WOOOHOOO peace and quiet!

Wudas said...

Poor baby!